Sunday, January 2, 2011

Traces of New Year's Eve

.
Saturday a.m.

Happy New Year, dear blogging friends!
I trust that you all had a lovely New Year's Eve, in one form or another...

I've been having a pleasant hangover-free morning, catching up on blog posts & reading about your latest adventures.  I was hunting for others with New Year's resolutions, since mine aren't quite finished yet and I can use a little inspiration. 

Snoodlebug came up with an amazing and ambitious list of "New Year's Revolutions" - and I have faith that she's going to do a great job with the follow-through.  She already went to work on her Pincurl Project & posted about it this morning.

In keeping with my own "Social Butterfly" resolution, despite the warning of freezing rain, I courageously headed out the door at 7:30 pm last night and drove (very slowly) to a New Year's Eve gathering of friends on the far side of town.

Was I a little foolish to be driving on New Year's Eve in bad weather?  Maybe.  But I was a good girl.  I only had one drink the entire evening! Pretty proud of myself about that, actually.

At the beginning of the night I went to the bar and ordered a Whiskey & Water. "Lots of ice," I said, "and just a little bit of water, but heavy on the whiskey."  When the bartender heard that, he suggested I make it a Double "for just $1.50 more." What the heck, why not! I love whiskey - but oh my, this was strong! So I nursed that baby all night long by adding more ice every time the glass was one-quarter empty - and it gave me the perfectly heavenly low-key buzz I was looking for.

This wasn't exactly a glamorous affair...a neighborhood type "lodge" in a blue collar suburb.  But on New Year's Eve anything goes.  Many were very casual in jeans - but one brave soul wore a tux (good for him!) and some of the women were in glitz from head to toe.

I was somewhere in between...  Purple dress, black tights and this pretty vintage bracelet that I picked up for a song a few months ago and have been dying to wear...

Isn't she sweet?   This vintage bracelet is signed "ART (c)" - is anyone familiar with that company?  I found some wonderful examples of other ART pieces online, including these at Enchantment Vintage Costume Jewelry.

I don't have any photos from last night, but here's how my hand looked in the bracelet.  Wow, huh?



Oh yes, and I almost forgot - I also wore a pretty vintage three-strand pearl choker (costume, of course).  This sweetie pie was only $2.00, and I've already gotten so much use out of it...



It looked lovely on my neck...really it did... 

You're starting to wonder if I really went out last night, aren't you?   You're probably thinking - "She's just trying to fool us with these props..."

Well here's further evidence...


Traces of New Year's Eve mascara on my bleary morning-after eyes...

A few friends from the party who may end up reading this blog post can confirm (please vouch for me guys, okay?) that I was there.  But they will also probably question my use of the term Social Butterfly to describe me at this party... 

Yes, I did a bit of dancing - and I smiled a lot - and met a lot of lovely new people...

But...I ended up deciding to leave the party at 11:15.  What an awful party pooper I was!  I guess I was a little nervous about the drive home...but it turned out to be just fine.

Too bad I missed out on a New Year's midnight kiss, though.  Oh well, maybe next year.

Hope you all got your share of kisses last night - and the promise of many more to come in 2011.
Happy New Year!

---------------------------------------------------

January 2, 2011

P.S. - I have proof!  One of the New Year's Eve party attendees took lots of photographs that night and shared them online.  Here I am clearly enjoying (smiling so hard my eyes are squinty!) the company I'm with. Handsome devils, aren't they?

Oh, and there's that glass of whiskey I was telling you about.  By the color in the glass, I think this pic must have been taken before I had started diluting it with ice.  Forgot about those stunning green wristbands they chained to our wrists when we entered the door.  Ugh.

18 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Sarsaparilla!
    Looks like the social butterfly resolution has kicked off to a great start. Love the bracelet and those stranded pearls, tres sophisticated.
    Kissing isn't just for New Year, y'know! Fingers crossed you get an intro to a tall dark stranger through your new found friends, I do hope so. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your wonderful wishes (my lens is still on the run :-(
    I love that bracelet and what a great collection of New Years' cards you have got! Wishing you a very happy and healthy 2011 with lots of love and laughter and lots of vintage finds and even more: vintage sales!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, dear Sarsaparilla!

    The bracelet and necklace are divine! How clever of you to find that beautiful necklace for $2...We had a lovely evening but alas forgot to break out the white wine (we are having some today to make up for this terrible oversight)- we all stayed up watching "Dr. No" (which was loads of fun, I laughed through the whole thing and kept remarking to my teens, this is JUST LIKE in "Help!" although Dr. No came first really) and eating nougat and potato chips (a healthy balanced meal!)

    I wish you much fabulousness in 2011 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will vouch for you, you were there, you did look fabulous, and you did leave at 11:15 (I know, I left at 11:16).

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! Yes, my list is ambitious, but I am cheating ever so slightly in that I have started or have been thinking about most of my choices for some time. This is the year things come together though.

    I didn't get a midnight kiss either - unless one from my kitten counts. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to you too. I haven't made any resolutions, except maybe in my head I have decided to buy more clothes from charity shops, because I feel like my wardrobe is ruining the planet. And that I will save more. So I guess I have made a couple then?? xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooopps! Meant to say how cute you looked and that I'm not surprised all those guys were hanging around with you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mutation to a social butterfly needs to be done step by step so 11:15 is not so bad!;)
    For new year's eve I just watched Dita Von Teese's show at the crazy horse on TV so nothing very exciting...but I usually go out on this "special" day and it's always a great disappointment so I've decided not to make any effort on that night anymore!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did it! Yay Susan! You've sprouted social butterfly wings! :-)
                    .==-.                   .-==.
                     \()8`-._  `.   .'  _.-'8()/
                     (88"   ::.  \./  .::   "88)
                      \_.'`-::::.(#).::::-'`._/
                        `._... .q(_)p. ..._.'
                          ""-..-'|=|`-..-""
                          .""' .'|=|`. `"".
                        ,':8(o)./|=|\.(o)8:`.
                       (O :8 ::/ \_/ \:: 8: O)
                        \O `::/       \::' O/
                         ""--'         `--""   

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michael - Ha! You're so much fun! You're making my blog so pretty with your artwork!

    Lexy - It seems so many of us end up being a little disappointed with our New Year's Eve's. I think that we must all have visions of that night that we've picked up from watching old romantic movies.

    Vix - thanks, you're sweet. To be honest, though - two of those three guys only hung around long enough to get their picture taken. :-)

    Lili - If you haven't found that contact lense by now, I think you may have to give up!

    Lidian - Nougat & Chips and Dr. No sounds like a wonderful NYE party!

    Jann, Frl. Irene & Lady Cherry - Happy New Year. Lady Cherry, I think that your resolutions (even if just in your head) are good ones. An obsession with clothes can get pretty out of hand sometimes, doesn't it? I often create a mountain of clothes just trying to get dressed for work in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the bracelet - happy new year from Norway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous bracelet! Looks like you had a grand time. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year!!

    Just getting to read all the NYE blogs now, will post tomorrow eeek

    You look lovely on NYE, I didn't even go out, stayed in with a couple of friends that how much of a social butterfly I am ha ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year, Susan! Love your jewelry. Hope your dreams come true in 2011. Thanks again for featuring "Madelines Memories". I'm about to dip into her diaries!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha I loved this entry! Happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete

I love all of your comments - it's what makes blogging fun! C'mon, let's get a conversation going...

Related Posts with Thumbnails